Skip to main content

Torment (Fallen #2) by: Lauren Kate

Beware of the spoilers to Fallen that lurk beyond this message...



Hell on Earth. That is what Luce feels when she has to stay away from her boyfriend, Daniel, who happens to be a fallen angel. Even though it took the two of them an eternity to find each other, he still says that he has to go away from her. Daniel wants to keep her safe from the Outcasts, a group of immortals who want to kill Luce. In order to keep her safe, Daniel drops Luce off at Shoreline, a school for Nephilim, the children of fallen angels and humans. There on the California coastline, Luce learns about Shadows and how to use them. As she learns a little more about her previous lives she realizes that Daniel may not be telling her the truth. He is definitely hiding something and that may change everything that Luce knows about their relationship.  

This is not my first time reading Torment, however I read it quite a few years ago and could not remember much from it. The main thing that I recalled from this book was the ending and it was a hazy recollection at that. It honestly felt like I was reading this book for the first, however as I continued to read it I did start to remember some small details. I never had a moment where I suddenly remembered everything. 

The thing that I liked the most about this book was Luce’s character development. In the previous book, Luce was more two dimensional. In Fallen, she was slightly boring because she was obsessed with Daniel and struggling with trauma. She didn’t have much depth to her because her character was literally defined by her obsession with Daniel. But in this book she really grew into herself as a person and a character. Luce became quite independent in this book which is something that I really enjoyed reading. I love characters that are independent and I especially love seeing characters grow into their own strength and gaining the self assurance that leads to independence. I would say it is my favorite character arc apart from a well done redemption arc. Additionally, it was nice to see these sides of Daniel and Cam that weren’t showcased in the previous book. In general, all of the characters went through development and became more rounded but Luce's character development was the most noticeable and the most needed. 

The plot of this book was great! I loved it. It was fast enough to keep my interest but also slowed down enough to answer the unanswered questions of the previous book. I’m glad that Lauren Kate didn’t let the questions just build up from Fallen and Torment because that would have been a lot of confusion much like Strange Angels and Betrayals. The plot was great because it showcased a lot of Luce’s development. The way Luce acted at the beginning of the book was completely different and it was easy to track which events in the book had led her to change her viewpoint and thus become a different person. There were a couple of “oh the plot thickens” moments but I was able to predict them before they happened. I don’t know if I have ever explained what “oh the plot thickens” moments are, so they are moments when the story suddenly gets interesting because a new piece of information is revealed or something happens. I wouldn’t classify them as twists because they are not huge moments that change the context of everything that we know but they are the small unexpected moments that make you want to read the book faster. Going back to the book, I was able to predict these moments but due to the fact that I have read this book before, I have no idea if this book is actually predictable or if I was just subconsciously remembering things as I was reading. 

The ending to this book was totally unexpected. Much like the ending to Jealousy, this ending did stick in my head and brought me back to this series because I would occasionally remember it and wonder what happened. Even though the ending was unexpected, I think it fit in with everything that happened in this book. Everyone involved in the ending was perfectly in character which may seem like that doesn’t fit in with the fact that the ending was unexpected. But it does because even though the characters chose to do certain things (all of which were in character), it doesn’t mean that everything actually goes their way. Also with an ending like that I can’t wait to read the next book.

Overall I’d give this book 3 stars, which is exactly what I gave it when I first read it. As I have mentioned, the plot and character development were wonderful and I really enjoyed them. Even the ending was great but the fact that I was able to predict most of the little moments stopped me from giving this book more stars. I wouldn’t say that I could have done without this book because it moves the story forward but it didn’t blow my mind nor was it terrible. Torment is just an average book I’d say. Off I go to read Passion!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C