Skip to main content

Fallen (Fallen #1) by: Lauren Kate



Luce Price can’t take her eyes off of Daniel Grigori. There is something about him that is achingly familiar. He is mysterious and the one bright spot at Sword and Cross, the boarding school in Georgia, that may as well be a prison. What else would you call a place where no cell phones are allowed, security cameras watch the students' every move, and the students are all screw-ups? Daniel has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with Luce but she is unable to let him go. Much like a moth that is drawn to a flame, Luce needs to find out what Daniel is hiding, even if she loses her life in the process. 

This is my second time reading Fallen but the first time that I am writing a review about it. Before I do review it however, I do want to say that this book does have religious undertones to it which I will not be commenting on. The only things that I will be talking about is the storyline. I thought the concept of this story was interesting. I have never heard of any other story like this one and as far as I know it is pretty unique.

The plot and the action of this story was pretty good. There was a lot of confusion, a lot of unanswered questions which kept me reading. I wanted to know why certain characters were acting weird, or normal in circumstances that they shouldn’t have been acting normal. The balance between creating more questions and answering just enough questions was struck really well by Lauren Kate. It was because of this balance that I read this book fairly quickly. Hopefully the next book will answer many of the questions that were raised in this one.

Even though I have read this book before, I had forgotten quite a bit of it. I was not able to predict the twist that took place prior to the ending. It is a pretty common type of twist and looking back there are many hints that are given but I totally missed them. I only realized that there was foreshadowing when I thought about it after I finished reading the book. The epilogue is amazing. It’s honestly like the post-credit scene in an MCU movie. It sets up the next book while also creating mystery and changing everything we think we know. Okay that last part may be a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean. I think it is the epilogue that made me want to read Torment (the next book) more than the storyline of the book. Overall I’d give Fallen 3 stars because it is a good book but there wasn’t anything too exceptional about it other than the uniqueness of the concept. I am looking forward to reading the next book

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C