Skip to main content

Nerve by: Jeanne Ryan


Vee has always been behind the scenes. Whether it be the costume and makeup artist for her school’s plays or the shadow to her best friend, Sydney, Vee is comfortable away from the spotlight. Vee decides to play Nerve, the game of dares, but she isn’t sure if she’s cut out for it. But Nerve knows exactly how to keep her playing, tempting her with amazing prizes, the shoes she wanted, a hot partner, and much much more. Her partner, Ian, gives her the courage that she needs to keep going but the game is slowly getting deadlier and deadlier. How far will Vee go to win those prizes? Is she willing to put her own life at risk to win everything that her heart has desired?

Let me start by saying, I watched the movie before I read the book. Actually when I watched the movie I had no idea that there was a book. A couple weeks ago, I was browsing in the library when Nerve caught my eye. So I picked it up and decided to give it a shot.

The first thing that you are probably wondering is: was the book better than the movie? Yes and no. I feel like the book was better in the dares were given to Vee. The action and intensity of these dares was much better than the ones in the movie. Also the game had better structure or at least made more sense in the book than it did in the movie. The incentives to playing the game were much better in the book too. In general I would say that the book flushed out the details of the game much better than the movie was able to. On the flip side of this, the movie had a much better ending to the story. The reason that I did not like the ending to this book is because I feel like books that have a lot of action and are high in intensity should have a definite conclusion. There should be a sense of victory (for the heroes) and defeat (for the villains). This book did not deliver on that expectation. The ending was sort of floaty and abstract, in a life continues to suck but we got out kind of way. I mean I can understand why Jeanne Ryan wrote the ending as she did but I was not satisfied with it. The ending of the movie was much more conclusive and I liked that.

Another thing that can happen when you watch a movie prior to reading the book is your inability to visualize the characters as anyone other than the actors who played them. Thankfully, this did not happen to me as the Vee that I remembered from the movie and the Vee in this book were wildly different. I'm glad though because I wasn't constantly thinking of Emma Roberts while reading this book. The same thing goes Ian. When I visualized Ian while reading I never thought of Dave Franco. 

Other than those two big things that can happen when you watch a movie prior to reading a book, there isn't much I can say about this book. Nerve started off a little slow but managed to pick up the pace and turn into a gripping story. The characters were well-written but nothing about them stood out to me, in a positive or negative way. If I had to describe them I'd say that they were average characters. This unfortunately includes the main characters which is not a good sign. But the fact that the characters were not memorable or highly special in any way, did not take away from my experience of reading this book. 

Other than that, I liked this book for the action not for the ending. I liked the movie for the ending, not for the action. I am going to give Nerve 3 stars because the action in the book was great however the ending did satisfy me. I will say that I believe even if I had not watched the movie prior to reading the book, I would still be unhappy at the way that the book ended as I am not a fan of endings that refuse to take a side, where there is no definite conclusion. Now to finally answer the question that I'm sure you're asking yourself: Should I watch the movie or read the book? I can't believe that I am actually about to say this but, watch the movie. Apart from the fact that the details of the game are more flushed out in the book, the book does not have any features that will edge out the movie in this race. So watch the movie (added bonus of seeing Dave Franco :P), or if you want to read the book then watch the movie. I'm gonna go re-watch the movie, now that I've read the book! 

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C