Skip to main content

Betrayals (Strange Angels #2) by: Lili St. Crow

Beware of the spoilers to Strange Angels that lurk beyond this message...


Dru Anderson has gone through quite a bit in the last few months. Both her parents are dead, her mother when she was child and her father when someone zombified him. Her best friend is a werewolf and she just learned that she isn’t entirely human. Just your usual teenage girl living her normal teenage life. But now Dru is stuck in a secret school in New England, which wouldn’t be a problem except she’s the only girl. Sure the boys may be cute, but she’s pretty sure that one of them is gunning for her and wants her dead. Finding the traitor to the Order wouldn’t be a problem for Dru if it weren’t for the fact that her every move is being watched, which means that exposing the traitor will turn everyone else against her. Will she be able to figure out who is betraying her without losing her life to the cause?

This is another book that I have read before so this review is not about my first response to this book, it is my second response to this book. With that being said, I did not remember much of this book. I don’t think I ever had a moment where I thought to myself, “oh yeah and then blah blah is going to happen.” I can understand why I forgot about this book compared to the last one as this one is much more focused on emotion. There’s a lot of emotional turmoil, angst, you know all the good stuff that leads to character development later on. After all this emotional state is a state of processing everything that the characters have gone through. I know I said that I like the angst of the book but it also frustrated me because I wanted Dru to sort of stop moping. I mean moping isn't really the right term for what she was doing, she was more of, being stubborn and not taking in the things that she had an opportunity to. She’s at a school and has a chance to learn so much about the Order but instead she spends time skipping classes. Even if they are remedial and boring classes, information is information, you never know when it is going to help you. I mean I totally understand her frustration with being treated like a fragile little girl. I understand that she wanted to learn the good stuff, the how to kill monsters stuff but I think she should have tried to learn something in the classes that she was going to. 

The plot of this book was just as amazing as expected. I didn’t want to stop reading, things kept happening, questions were being raised. Oh it was so good. On top of it all, this book was mysterious. Out of all the questions that were raised only a few were answered. Not knowing what was happening, being kept in the dark as the reader much like Dru is being kept in the dark just made me want to keep reading more because I hoped that somewhere in the next chapters, I would find out more about who is betraying her, who is putting her in danger. This book ended on a confused mess of questions and I really hope those questions are answered in the book because I don’t think I can take it anymore. I just want to know the truth!

As I said earlier, I did not remember any of this book, quite literally none of it. So the twist and the reveal, took me by total surprise. I was not expecting it and I don’t even think that there is enough foreshadowing about it for anyone to be able to predict it. It was masterfully written because just like the last book, this twist pushed the tension up to a whole new level. I am looking forward to more of the same twists in the next books. I’m sure they are going to be spectacular. The ending of the wasn’t too special I would say. Nothing unexpected or weird but the ending worked really well after the whole book. I think the ending’s tone fit in perfectly with the events that took place prior to it. 

A love triangle, really? Can't we do better than that? I just think Dru is too good of a character to have a love triangle as a motivation. She’s strong and fierce and totally doesn’t need the whole do I pick him or do I pick him that inevitably happens when a love triangle is introduced. Although given that this book was published in 2010, I forgive it slightly. But still I really, really want to read more fantasy/sci-fi books where the heroine isn’t in a love triangle or better yet, isn’t even concerned with romance in general. 

I would give this book 4 stars because I really enjoyed the plot and the ending. I was and am really invested in the story that I read but also the story that I will read in the next books. The only reason that I am not giving Betrayals 5 stars is because of the frustration and the annoyance that I felt towards Dru. I mean I understand that it is necessary for Dru to go through some rough patches and I understand why Dru was acting the way she was. But it also put me off from the book a little because I couldn’t relate to Dru. I was mad at the main character, which made me not enjoy the book as much because I am supposed to like the main character. 

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C