Skip to main content

The Towering Sky (The Thousandth Floor #3) by: Katharine McGee

Beware of the spoilers to The Thousandth Floor and The Dazzling Heights that lurk beyond this message...



Welcome back to New York, 2119. Leda wants to move on from what happened in Dubai. But a new investigation forces her to look for help from the one person she has spent a year trying to forget. Rylin is living the good life, reunited with an old flame, however seeing Cord again causes confusion. She has to choose between two worlds and two very different boys. Calliope is trapped in a long con that is harder than she bargained for. Will she be safe when her lies catch up to her? Watt is still in love with Leda. He is willing to do anything to get her back, even if it means digging up old secrets that should remain hidden. Avery is back from England with her new boyfriend Max. Life seems to be perfect for her but she feels like she couldn't be more imperfect. A spectacular finale for a series filled with intrigue, glamour, and mind blowing technology. One final chance for everyone to learn that the more you have, the more you stand to lose. 

I don’t have much to say about this book that will be different than what I mentioned for the previous book. The plot of this book was really good. Much like The Dazzling Heights, it started right in the action but the intensity of the action was a little milder because of the time gap. This book takes place about seven months after the events of the previous one. Due to this, the first few chapters of the book are spent reorienting the readers to what happened in the previous book and in the seven months that have passed. I was pretty surprised to see that there was a time jump because after the ending of The Dazzling Heights, I expected this book to start the next day or even a few hours later. I have no issues with the jump in time. I think it makes sense that a break had to be created between the ending of the previous book and the beginning of this one. It fits in perfectly, it was just a little unexpected.

I really enjoyed the ending of this book. I was able to predict a couple of bits and pieces but most of the ending was very unexpected to me. I really liked the unexpectedness of the ending because it didn’t let me down. I was expecting an interesting ending after reading the other books as they both had endings that were unpredictable. It was the ending of The Thousandth Floor which made me want to read the sequel. So this book delivered in terms of an unexpected ending, and it also managed to make the ending satisfactory. I didn’t feel like there were any loose ends that the author forgot about or that the author rushed through things and didn’t make the ending clear. Additionally, I found the ending to be mostly satisfying. There is one part of the ending that I am absolutely not a fan of as I don’t think the character deserved such a nice ending but other than that minor issue I am fine with the ending. 

 I will give this book 3 stars because the standards of drama were upheld as well as the satisfactory ending. I don't have much else to say about this book other than it was good and I liked it. Moving on to the series as a whole, I would not recommend it to anyone unless someone asked me for something in this style of high stakes drama. I am not going to give a blanket recommendation or say that if you like x, y, and z, you will like this series because I can't really pinpoint who the series is catered towards. I don’t usually read books like this and I enjoyed it but the series didn’t blow my mind or anything like that which is why I don’t think everyone will enjoy it. The best book in this series was definitely The Dazzling Heights, then The Towering Sky, and lastly The Thousandth Floor. I found the second one to be the most engaging, it was the one I couldn’t stop reading the most. Off I go to read some more!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C