Skip to main content

Reckoning (Strange Angels #5) by: Lili St. Crow

Beware of the spoilers to Strange AngelsBetrayalsJealousy, and Defiance that lurk beyond this message...


Dru Anderson never expected herself to make it this far. She didn’t even expect herself to be alive. After all that she has been through, the killer zombies, the jealous and crazy djamphirs, and all the bloodsuckers, it is a wonder that she is still here and fighting. But now things have changed for the other side because Dru has bloomed into full-fledged svetocha. She is toxic to all vampires, so Sergej and his army of bloodsuckers better watch out. But getting out of what she has gotten herself into is harder than she would have ever imagined. Will she be able to pay the price or will she lose her life?

This is the last book of the Strange Angels series, the book where our main character Dru will hopefully defeat the big bad monster! I was super excited to read this and see how this series ends. After four whole books of buildup and great action I was expecting a fast paced story filled with plenty of action, so imagine my surprise when this book had the slowest start out of all of the books in the series. After the explosive and unexpected ending of Defiance, I would have never expected for all of the characters in this book to be so calm and chill. I wouldn’t say that it takes away from the experience of reading this book as I can see why the book had to begin that way but I thought it was worth mentioning. It was a nice way to allow the readers to regroup and prepare for the big throwdown that was going to happen in this book.

As I expected, the plot and the action in this book were amazing as usual. I did not want to put down this book while I was reading it. The only problem that I had with the progression of this book was that there was a lot of confusion, a lot of questions that were being asked with very few answers. I had been hoping for this book to be the book where all of the big questions are answered and the plan of how to take down the villain comes together and then they just do it (with some minor issues that they have overcome along the way of course). That’s not what happened at all, which is fine I love a good old unexpected twist. The issue I have is the way it was executed because I feel like it didn’t fit in with the characterization of Dru. I expected the final fight to be this guns blazing, powerful fight but Dru kind of flailed through it. I didn’t see her strength, determination, and stubbornness, which is something that I really wanted to see because that is who she is. With that being said, the message that it brought was a positive message because in the end it was her friends and allies who ultimately helped her. You are where you are because of the people who supported you and Dru flailing in the final battle really highlights that message.

The ending of this book was great. It was so fleshed out and well executed. It lasted for six whole chapters and just for reference the ending starts after the climax of the story and goes on to the end of the epilogue. I absolutely loved the ending of this book because of how hopeful it was. Not everything happened the way they expected it to, things went south, but they still have hopes for the future. I really liked the ending because it was unexpected but it also fit. I think the ending was perfect for this book and it broke some YA tropes which gives it some bonus points.

If it weren’t for the ending of this book, I would have given this book 3 stars but because of how much I loved the ending, I am going to give it 4 stars. While the plot was fast paced and interesting, I just can’t get over the fact that Dru struggled so much, which is why I was going to give it 3 stars. If I had to rank the books in the whole series from best to worst: 1) Strange Angels 2) Betrayals 3) Jealousy 4) Reckoning 5) Defiance. Overall, I would recommend this series to anyone that is already into fantasy/supernatural books but I wouldn’t recommend this as the step someone takes into the genre.

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C