Skip to main content

An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason by Virginia Boecker


Lady Katherine has lost all that she knows and loves. Her father is killed for illegally practicing Catholicism and she has nothing left in this world. With nothing to lose, Katherine thirsts for revenge against Queen Elizabeth I. William Shakespeare’s newest play which shall be performed for Her Majesty is the perfect opportunity for Katherine to avenge the death of her father. Unfortunately for her, the play is a tool to find insurrectionists and squash the rebellion. A tool that is wielded by Toby Ellis, a young spy. When Katherine disguised as a boy and Toby are cast as the leads in the play they must fight their attraction to one another. The closer they get the more danger they put themselves in. They must decide if they can pay the price of star-crossed love or if they can survive without the other.

Before I start talking about how the book was and all of that good stuff, let me tell you how I chose this book. You’ve probably heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover.” So naturally I did just that! I looked at the title, thought "Sounds interesting," and picked up the book. I essentially went into the book blind which made the experience of reading this book that much better. I liked that I slowly discovered things in the book such an appearance by Shakespeare, which I would not have had the pleasure of discovering.

One thing that I was supremely worried about was the LGBTQ aspect of the book. I was anxious because I was afraid that I was reading too far into the subtext of the book. I thought that the author, Virginia Boecker, was going to pull a 180 on me pretend like she didn’t write a story with some serious LGBTQ undertones. There aren’t enough LGBTQ characters in books these days as it is (although that is slowly changing now) and to have her take this away from readers would have been terrible. Thankfully she did not do that. In fact, I would say that she charged on ahead like a champ and I love her for it.

I loved the fact that this book paid homage to Shakespeare’s stories and included him in the book itself. Mistaken identity, cross-dressing, and the perfect play to complement them, what more can a girl ask for? I love it when books go all meta on me! This aspect of the book was enhanced for me because I didn’t even know Shakespeare was in it when I picked it up, how was I supposed to know about the cross-dressing and confusing identities?

Let's talk about what I didn't like: the ending. Don't get me wrong, I want a supremely satisfying ending as much as you do. But I don’t want it to be a rush order of satisfying ending. I want to be a slow and luxurious ending, like a cat stretching. The ending could have been fleshed out more and if it had been I would have most likely given this book 5 stars. I don't know if the multiple POVs (Points of View) contributed to this rushed feeling or if it was something else. I don’t hate multiple POV books at all. They increase the pace (like Unwind) and they can even create dramatic irony which I love. All of these aspects were in this book but they didn’t work well together in this instance which is why the ending wasn’t as satisfying as I had hoped. I’m giving it 4 stars because of the rushed ending but other than that it’s a wonderful book. Especially to buy as a gift as it is a standalone book that is fairly unique in its plot. I would recommend it to people who enjoy historical fiction and have a decent understanding of Shakespeare.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C