Skip to main content

Into the Fairy Forest (Pan Chronicles #1) by: J. M. Stephen

This review was requested by the author.

Pippa Gardener would tell you that she’s just a normal teenager, except weird things keep happening to her. She can’t use her cell phone to save her life, her mother dies in a mysterious fire, another fire seems to come after her, her friend almost gets eaten up by the ground, and she meets the most beautiful boy she has even seen, Pan. Pan brings her into a world like no other, and all of a sudden, Pippa is attending fairy weddings, running around with satyrs, trying to find the truth about what is going on, and battling a centaur…? Even though Pan is the one that brought her into this mess, there is nothing that Pippa wants more than to run right into his arms. 

When I was approached by J.M. Stephen to read Into the Fairy Forest, I was excited. I had previously read Nod and I had enjoyed it even though it wasn’t the kind of book that I would have picked up by myself. When I read the blurb for this book, I realized this one was up my alley and since I had already had a good experience with J. M. Stephen, I was looking forward to reading it. Into the Fairy Forest did not disappoint me. I thought that I would enjoy reading it and I did. There are a couple of things that I wish were different but they didn’t diminish my reading experience. 

My favorite thing about this book is the world building. As an avid reader of the Percy Jackson series and due to a middle school obsession with Greek mythology (mostly because of the Percy Jackson series), I had a lot of background knowledge about things that were mentioned in this book. I mean the name of the series is literally the Pan Chronicles, come on. So I was totally expecting the story to lean heavily towards Greek mythology like Percy Jackson does but that wasn’t the case at all. The world that is built in this book is so unique. It is unlike any other book that I have read. It does call on Greek mythology but it also takes inspiration from other legends such as the legend of King Arthur. I loved seeing the almost easter eggs or references to other popular stories and seeing how they paid homage to those stories but also took on their own roles in this book. To put it into an analogy, the same ingredients were used to create a brand new dish.

A close second to world building itself was the plot. Into the Fairy Forest is packed with action and I mean packed. In all honesty, everything that happened in this book could have been split into two whole books. But even with so much content in the book itself, I never felt overwhelmed by how much was happening nor did I ever feel that the book was dragging. The balance between action and exposition was struck really well, which indicates a well written book. The beginning was a little exposition heavy for my taste but it didn’t last for too long, probably a chapter or two and then the pace of the story picked up. 

While the pacing of the plot and the balance between action and exposition was really good, I thought that the overall arc of the story was predictable. Most of the things that happened were foreshadowed and I was able to pick up on the clues and put the pieces together to figure out most of the reveals in the story. I wish there had been a couple of twists in the story just to shake things up a little but I enjoyed reading it even though I was able to predict most of it. The piece that I did not predict was the ending. I did not expect the resolution of the conflict to play out the way that it did. It wasn’t really a twist because it didn’t come out of left field but it was unexpected. Due to the ending of this book, I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.   

I am a little conflicted about the characters in this book. On one hand, they were wonderful and unique. Each of them had a role to play and they fit in well with the story. On the other hand, there was something missing. I can not put my finger on it, but there was something that stopped me from feeling like the characters were real, three-dimensional people. All of them felt a little flat to me. I want to say that they were lacking emotional depth and evolution but that’s not it because there was emotional depth in the characters and their emotions did change. I am having trouble pinpointing exactly what was lacking in the characters but every single character felt a little two-dimensional and flat to me. 

Since we are talking about the characters, let’s also talk about their relationships. I enjoyed seeing the ways in which the characters interacted with each other, especially the ones that had no previous relationships and had come together due to the circumstances that they were going through. However, one thing that I would have liked to see was more description about their interactions. Pippa and her aunt obviously need to navigate a new relationship but I didn’t get to read the path that they took to get there. The only things that I got were checkpoints as in here they are unsure of how to behave with each other, and here they are getting into a routine. But what about the middle stage where they have a couple of awkward interactions or a hard conversation? I missed those in between moments. I wanted to see how two characters went from being mere acquaintances to slowly becoming friends. Especially in fantasy stories, friendships and actually all relationships are ever-evolving things and I felt like I was missing out on witnessing the evolution of all these relationships between these wonderful characters.

Overall, I liked Into the Fairy Forest. I’m going to give it 3 stars because it was a good read. I would have definitely given it a higher rating if the characters hadn’t felt flat to me. Even if the characters had been flat and their relationships had been described more, I would have given Into the Fairy Forest a higher rating. The well balanced plot was one hundred percent the best part of this book because it set the perfect pace for this story. The ending was also nice because it wasn’t out of character but it sets up the overall arc of the series well. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Rise of the Hidden Prince!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C