Skip to main content

Rapture (Fallen #4) by: Lauren Kate

Beware of the spoilers to FallenTorment, and Passion that lurk beyond this message...


Trust your love, no matter what. Even if it seems like the world is about to end and evil is about to triumph, trust your love. Time is running out, Lucifer is getting closer and closer to rewriting history. His plan to erase the past doesn’t sit well with Luce and Daniel but to stop him they have to find the place where the angels fell to the earth. As dark forces are closing in on them, Daniel begins to doubt if he can survive losing Luce again. But they have to face the upcoming battle together. Lifeless bodies, destroyed hearts, and sacrifices may not be enough to succeed. After all, the curse has always been centered around Luce. It is about her and the choices that she made in the past. The future of the world depends on the choice that she has to make in this lifetime. Will Luce make the right choice?

I’m going to start off by saying that this is the best book in the Fallen series. None of the other books even come close to the level that this book is on. There is only one reason for this and that is the ending. It seems weird to start this review off by talking about the ending, so I’m going to take a step back and talk about the plot before I dive into the ending. The plot of the book was super engaging. I did not want to put this book down! The plot was so good that I read this book in a day. It was filled with action and it was great to see all of the pieces that had been discussed in the previous books all come together and contribute to the story. 

I do not have anything to say about the characters nor do I have any problems with the way the characters were portrayed in Rapture. So I’m going to move right on to my favorite part of this book which is the ending! It is pretty unusual for me to claim the ending as my favorite part in a positive sense. Usually when I say that the ending was my favorite part of a book, it is because I hated the book and that I was glad it was over. Midnight’s Children is one of the books where the ending was my favorite part because I absolutely hated the book and I couldn't wait to finish reading it. Anyway, the reason that I love the ending to Rapture is because of how well it fit in with the direction that the overall story was going in. In addition to fitting in perfectly, it was completely unexpected and very unique. While reading this series, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how Lauren Kate would end this series in a satisfying way which would also make everything that Luce and Daniel have gone through worth it. Even though she did not take the route that I expected her to in ending this series, I think the ending really managed to give every single character an ending that was appropriate for what they had done. Basically each character got exactly what they deserved, which is not always the case as we’ve seen in The Towering Sky.

While I loved the ending, there were a couple of things that occurred just before the ending which bothered me. The action leading up to the ending felt really hurried. It is completely understandable since the characters were under a time limit and a sense of hurry is necessary but it is still possible to flesh out actions even when there is a time limit. Leigh Bardugo manages to do it beautifully in every single book (that I have read). In addition to hurrying the story, a character promised that the answer to a question would be revealed when the time was right and then the character never did! I don’t know if this promise was forgotten or if it was intentional and a message but it annoyed me that I never got the reveal that I was promised. 

I am going to give Rapture 4 stars. I would have totally given it 5 stars, I really liked the story and loved the ending, but the lack of the reveal that I was promised was too much. This is the last book of the series so you can't just leave things unanswered! That's not okay! If it hadn’t been for that loose end, this book would have definitely gotten 5 stars. If I had to rank the books in this series: Rapture is the best book, followed by Torment, then comes Fallen, and last but not least is Passion. This series was pretty good and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of YA paranormal romance. I do not think non-YA readers will enjoy this book because it has some common YA tropes like love triangles. Overall, this book and the series was a good read but I don’t see myself coming back to it for a re-read.

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C