Skip to main content

Purple Hearts (Front Lines #3) by: Michael Grant

Beware of the spoilers to Front Lines and Silver Stars that lurk beyond this message...


This is the powerful and epic conclusion to the Front Lines series. Rainy, Rio, and Frangie have been through a lot. In North Africa and Sicily, they feared, they braved, they sacrificed, and they fought for their lives. Their mission is far from over because June 6th, 1944 is approaching. The three of them must prepare to fight the deadliest battle of their lives as they descend onto Omaha Beach with thousands of Allied soldiers to fight for their countries and their lives. Frangie, Rainy, and Rio are no longer green soldiers, they are the most experienced ones. They are battle-hardened Silver Star recipients and the other soldiers now look up to them for confidence, guidance, and support. But this is the worst war in human history, millions of lives will be lost, bodies and limbs will pile, flesh will turn into charcoal, and blood will run freely. The girls, Rio, Frangie, and Rainy will have to find a way to survive, lead, and thrive this all the while holding onto the shreds of their humanity as well as their belief in humanity.

I... What can I say? How can I put together words to describe this book...

The blurb says that this book is a powerful ending to the Front Lines trilogy. The blurb is 1000% accurate. This book and the series is the most powerful piece of writing that I have ever read about WWII. I have always rationally understood the devastation and horror of the war, the deaths, and the struggles. But this series truly helped me understand it emotionally. The toll that it must have taken on the soldiers to see so many of their friends as well as people they barely knew disappear, die. All of a sudden the bleakness described in All Quiet on the Western Front makes sense to me. The scariest part is that Michael Grant has done his best to make sure that this series is as accurate as possible. I can not praise Michael Grant enough or rave about this series enough. This is definitely a top ten series.

There are a few things that bothered me but I accept because they are accurate. Michael Grant was more trigger happy in this book which initially made me mad because I didn't understand the point of killing characters we didn't know that well. It was hard for me to see such great characters get introduced and then cease to exist because I could see the potential in them and I really wanted to see them interact and bond with the main characters. But after thinking about it, I understood the reason that so many characters were killed. It makes sense because Michael Grant was trying to show the devastation of the war. Did you know the death toll of the Second World War is about 85 million people? It is not unrealistic then that many soldiers that were in that war didn't even have a chance to fight properly before their lives were over. Thus, I accept that he needed to be more trigger happy, but the irrational and emotional part of me is screaming, “They didn’t deserve it, why would you do that? WHY?”

On the flip side, I think more characters that we were well acquainted with should have died to drive the point home that people die in a war. I feel like it would have had a much better emotional impact if more characters that we have read about for a while had died. After all, it is war, and no one is as safe as they think they are. Another thing that bothered me was that I was able to figure out who was writing the story which I didn't like because I would have preferred it to be a bit of a curveball. I called the who the narrator was going to be from the middle of Silver Stars. It was a little too obvious for my taste. The same goes for the epilogue. The epilogue played out exactly the way that I thought it was going to. I would have liked a little bit of variety in there.

However, I am willing to forget about the obviousness of the ending, as well as the trigger-happiness because the rest of the book more than made up for it. If it isn’t obvious by now, I don’t know how else to explain this to you: I’m wholeheartedly giving this book 5 stars. This book (and series) is amazing! I am probably going to be recommending this series to every single person that I meet. If I had to rate the series on the same scale that I rate books, I would easily give it 5 stars. The best book in the series was Purple Hearts, followed by Front Lines, and last but not least Silver Stars. Also I sense a huge book hangover coming on… Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts

The Dangerous World of Butterflies by Peter Laufer

Peter Laufer used to believe that butterflies and flowers are an analogy for tranquility. He needed an answer for a persistent question and as a journalist he was tired of war and the horrible things in the world, so on a whim Peter Laufer said he was going to write about butterflies. Little did he know that an American lady living in Nicaragua would take him seriously and invite him to her little piece of land to begin exploring the world of butterflies. Peter Laufer had no idea what a treacherous world he was about to step into.  The Dangerous World of Butterflies is this story of exploration. Peter Laufer discovers collectors, criminals, and cops all obsessed with these tiny and miraculous creatures. He explores the roles of butterflies in history and different cultures’ mythology and art. He stumbles into stories of organized crime, ecological devastation, and a growing list of endangered butterflies. Your garden, the creatures in it, and the world will not look the same to

Life of Pi by: Yann Martel

A cargo ship sinks in the Pacific and all that remains is one lonely lifeboat. The lifeboat's crew is: a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg, an orangutan, a Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker, and Pi, an Indian boy. As the crew members begin to assert their places in the food chain, Pi has to focus on getting to the top and how to deal with a Bengal tiger that grows hungrier by the day. Will Pi survive an impossible journey? At the mention of Life of Pi  most people begin to gush about how amazing the movie was and how much they loved it. Followed by their shock at the fact that I haven't seen it yet. My reason? My general experience has been that reading the book is a more enjoyable experience than watching the movie. The book is usually richer in terms of content, context, and backstories. I didn't want to spoil the experience of reading the book by watching the movie. Life of Pi  sat on my to-read list patiently waiting and I finally go to it when an extra cr

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

According to Kate's friends at school and at church, Kate has always been a good girl. Maybe too good. But little do they know about the secret that she carries. This summer Kate is a counselor at Cumberland Creek, a Christian camp. Surprisingly, this summer Matt is also a counselor, but he isn't the nerdy kid he used to be. Matt is flirty and he has his eyes on her. Kate used think that life was black and white. Turns out life may not be that simple... I picked up Things I Can't Forget  because it was by Miranda Kenneally. I had really enjoyed Catching Jordan , Stealing Parker , and Racing Savannah  (all by Miranda Kenneally), so I picked it up. I was a bit apprehensive to read it because of the fact that Kate is a church goer. I expected a lot of messages of faith, and things like that. But Miranda Kenneally kept it to a minimum. Another reason I liked Things I Can't Forget  was because I got to see Kate transform and grow up and mature. I would give Things I C